Wednesday, November 17, 2010

I Swallowed! (That's What She Said)

No, not the quarter. (That was included in the photo for size reference.) But check out the size of that pill!

Gentle Readers, something strange happens when I try to swallow pills.  Saliva dries up. Throat closes. Tongue adopts the grippy qualities of Velcro and clings to the pill, saving it from certain death. The water I gulp in vain becomes the Red Sea, parting around the capsule.

Normally, my inability to "throw back" is a problem easily solved by crushing.  I've been known to crush small Aspirin tablets. Perhaps more disgusting are my cocktails of pulverized prenatal vitamins, antibiotics, and steroids during IVF. Even fish oil capsules are squirted into water or milk. Seriously, I have a much easier time with needles than I do with pills!

So, you can imagine my dismay when the pharmacist broke the news: The metformin is a coated time-release formula that cannot be crushed or even halved. Mr. Sulfa tries to offer words of advice, "Just put it on the back of your tongue and throw it back! I've swallowed bigger pills than that." Easier said that done, Mr. "I can have strep throat and still swallow Legos".

But! I did it! I swallowed in my kitchen. I swallowed in the bathroom of Panera. And I will swallow in many other places to come.

13 comments:

  1. Haha! Love it! I always have had a hard time swallowing too (it's only appropriated to copy you and throw in a 'that's what she said') but the only method that works for me is to fill up my mouth with water, tilt my head back, drop the pill in it's little pool and swallow.

    But, it seems like you have got it down already since you are swallowing all over the place! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Sulfa! I have a hard time with pills, too. My mom used to put them in a spoonful of peanut butter and I'd just swallow the whole thing like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sulf, I'm very glad to hear you did NOT swallow the quarter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are a sick puppy. Glad you found your big girl panties and got this done. Proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh, I hate swallowing pills! The things we do to make a baby, I tell ya. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy crap, that's a big pill! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you!! Keep swallowing, girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can swallow many pills at a time and that sucker looks too big even for me! Super proud of you, lady! OXOXOX

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am glad to know that you were able to swallow the pill! YAY Sulf!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am impressed with the size of that pill! Good job on swallowing, Sulf!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Post title was just the giggle I needed this morning :) That pill is ginormous! Happy to hear you were able to get it down and so excited that the ball is rolling again for you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have learned that if you put the liquid in first then put the pill in with your head tilted back...it makes it harder for it to get stuck. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I too have to take those twice a day! No fun. They are horse pills!

    ReplyDelete