Sunday, September 5, 2010

Escapism

Beautiful readers, I am sorry that the blog has taken a bit of a different direction lately. We received word that none of our embryos lived long enough to freeze; the embryologist was baffled, and no one quite knows what is wrong with us. We've accumulated quite a bit of debt from our last cycle, so it will be a few years before we can pay that off and save enough for more treatments. As a result, I'm not feeling very funny. With time, I'm sure that humor will make its way back into my repertoire of coping strategies. For now, I have an urge to deal with our failure in a different way.

Escapism. Wikipedia describes it as an action taken to relieve persistent feelings of depression and to remove oneself from his or her biologically normal nature. Appropriate, eh? Each time a failed treatment cycle ends, I get a strong desire to pick up and move to Greece. No matter that Mr. Sulfa doesn't speak Greek and doesn't want to move. No matter that neither of us have an idea of what we'd do for a living. No matter that the economy there is still in deep trouble. Life would be far from easy. I just want to get away from reminders of my failure and the life that needs to continue on despite my heartbreak.

Instead, I wake up every morning, go to work, smile and joke just as if everything is okay.

23 comments:

  1. Dear Sulfa,
    I am so sorry for what you and Mr. Sulfa have gone though on this journey of your's. No words I have can make it better, but perhaps knowing you are in the thoughts and prayers of so many people may help in some way. If you can't escape physically, hopefully your thoughts and writing can take you someplace that will bring you solace.

    Keep leaping.

    (LeeLee930 from thebump.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sulfa,
    I am so very sorry for all of the pain you have had to endure along your journey, all while being so encouraging to everyone else. You are such an amazing woman. I pray that God grants you peace beyond understanding as you deal with this latest heartache. My prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry, Sulf. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  4. *hugs* Thinking about you and sending you healing vibes <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so very sorry about your embies Sulfa. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry about your embies. Please hang in there. Love you. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry for the heartbreak you are having to go through. Love you dear! I really hope things get better for you soon...I hate that you are having to go through this.
    Much love hon ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish there was a way to make this all better for you. ((hugs)) You and Mr. Sulf are in my thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear beautiful Sulf, I just want to make it all better for you and Mr. Sulf! Please know i am sending you a big e-hug from hundreds of miles away! I love you Sulfa!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so sorry Sulfa. (Gimongous Hugs)

    ReplyDelete
  11. you know, I've marked this post as unread about 5834957498375 times and each time I come back to comment but I just don't even have anything to say. Nothing quippy or sarcastic. Nothing reassuring or hopeful. Just nothing. Because I totally know what this feels like and there's nothing to say that's quite right. So what I will say is I'm so very very sorry. IF completely sucks and is ridiculously unfair. And I love you to pieces. And I'm here if you need to talk. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so sorry about your embies! ((hugs)) from an excellent escape artist!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are so amazing and I am truly sorry you are having to go through this...that any of us are!!

    ReplyDelete